Food / 8 August, 2023 / My Baba
A real celebration of fresh spring flavours, these toasts make an elegant, light lunch. Or cut them into smaller pieces and serve as a simple starter. This Charred Asparagus Toasts with Pea Smash recipe by M&S is a real summer highlight!
- 200g frozen garden peas
- 1 lemon, zested, juiced
- 25 g parmesan, grated plus extra shavings to serve
- 4 Maran Island brown egg
- 4 slices rye sourdough
- 200g asparagus spears, trimmed
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Pour boiling water over the peas (200 g) and set aside for 3-4 minutes, until thawed. Drain, then combine with 1 tbsp lemon juice and lemon zest (1), the grated parmesan (25 g) and 2 tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher until broken down and creamy.
- Meanwhile, boil the eggs (4) in a pan of simmering water for 6-7 minutes. Drain, peel and halve, then season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the sourdough (4 slices) and asparagus on a shallow baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Season the asparagus (200 g) with salt. Roast for 7-8 minutes until the bread is golden and the asparagus is charred.
- To serve, spread the toasts with the pea smash. Top with the charred asparagus, soft-boiled eggs and some parmesan shavings.
Article by M&S Recipes